REGULAR FULL-TIME BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (B.SC) PROGRAMME
Candidates must possess at least five O’level credit passes at not more than two sittings including English Language, Mathematics and Economics.
Requirements for Award of Degree
(i) The minimum number of credit units required for the award of degree is either 157 or 159, depending on any of the elective courses chosen by the student. This must be satisfied by a student before a degree is awarded.
(ii) For the purpose of calculating a students’ cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) in order to determine the class of degree to be awarded grades obtained in ail the courses whether compulsory or optional and whether passed or failed must be included in the computation.
(iii) Even when a student repeats the same course once or more before passing it, grades scored at each and all attempts shall be included in the computation not the Grade Point Average (GPA).
(iv) Classes of degree are to be awarded depending on the CGPA obtained.
The philosophy underlying the programmes of Economics Department is to produce graduates imbued with ability to understand and make contributions to the development of Nigeria and the global community.
VISION AND MISSION
This is to be achieved by equipping them with a broad foundation in the general field of social sciences as well as specialized knowledge in a particular discipline therein.
Prepare them to meet the human resources needs of a developing society and develop in them entrepreneurial knowledge needs of a developing society, a sense of public responsibility and spirit of self reliance.
AIM AND OBJECTIVES
- To create an enabling environment necessary for desirable behavioral change, promoting understanding of the changing global issues and enhancing job prospects both in the private and public sectors while equipping the students with the spirit of entrepreneurship and a sense of self reliance.
- To encourage the advancement of learning in economics
- To promote courses of instruction and other facilities for the pursuit of learning
- To encourage and promote scholarship and conduct researches
- To relate its activities to the social, cultural and economic needs of the people
CAREER AND EMPLOYMENT PROSPECTS
Specifically, the programmes are designed to rigorously train highly competent personnel for academic career and career in diverse areas of human endeavors such as energy and petroleum, manufacturing, industry, consultancy, agriculture, banking and finance, etc.
|SN||Name of Staff||Qualification||Rank||Specialization|
|1||Chike Emmanuel Onwuka||PhD (1984), M.Sc (1980), B.Sc (1978)||Professor||Development of Economics, Macroeconomics & Microeconomics,|
|2||Samuel Oseloka Okafor||PhD (1993), M.A (Econs)(1987), M.A ‘ (M&E)(1989) BA(1985)||Reader||Monetary Economics|
|3||Kenneth Onyebuchi Obi||PhD (2009). M.Sc (1999), B.Sc( 199(i j. HMD (1995)||Reader||Development Quantitative Economics|
|4||Uche Collins Celestine Nwogwugwu||PhD (2002), MSc (1992), BSc|
|Reader||Economic Theory, Energy & Environmental, Development Economics.|
|PhD (2014), MSc (2006), BSc(Ed) (2000)||Snr Lecturer||Labor and Industrial Economics, Development Economics|
|6||Uju Regina Ezenekwe||PhD (20 14), MSc (2008), BSc (1996)||Senior Lecturer||Development Economic Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Business Economics, International Econs.|
- ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- O’ level
5 O’ level credits to include English Language, Mathematics. Economics and any other 2 subjects obtained at not more than two sittings.
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD)
The candidate must be a graduate of Nnamdi Azikiwe University or a recognized University with at least a Third Class degree or a minimum of Upper Credit in the Higher National Diploma, HND, from a recognized Institution.
- Master’s Degree (MSc)
- The candidate must have a first degree in Economics with an FCGPA of not less than 3.0 from Nnamdi Azikiwe University or a recognized University
- A candidate with a Postgraduate Diploma from a cognate discipline with an FCGPA of not less than 3.50 may also be admitted provided the University Matriculation requirements are satisfied
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degree
A candidate who holds a master’s degree in Economics with an FCGPA not less than 3.50 on a 5 Point Scale or an average of 70%, from Nnamdi Azikiwe University or a recognized University may be admitted provided the University Matriculation requirement is satisfied.
- AVAILABLE AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION (MSc & PhD)
The Departmental PG committee following guidelines and depending on needs and demand has developed the following areas of specialization for the M.Sc and Ph.D programmes
- Development Economics
- International Economics
- Human Resource Economics
- Public Sector Economics
- Quantitative Economics